An important catalyst in the development of child welfare in Athens County, which has been understated in this narrative so far, was the massive financial support from county residents in passing the agency's levy every five years. Without that support, the history of Children Services would be different. Without their response to Fowler's call decades earlier and support of the levy since 1948, the growth of child welfare in Athens County would have been much more difficult.
In 1972, federal and state subsidies became available to the agency thereby encouraging the hiring of additional professional staff and the extension of services to meet steadily increasing cases of child abuse, neglect and dependency in Athens County. These subsidies provided the agency three additional dollars for every local dollar available, as such were contingent upon the passage of the levy. Thus, the importance of the residents' support was again reflected in the availability of subsidies.
Miss Sprout noted that Athens County Children Services was regarded as one of the leaders in public Children Services agencies in Ohio.
Miss Sprout retired from the directorship of Children Services in January 1977, with vivid memory of numerous highlights spanning her 27-year career in child welfare. Max F. Bucey, a graduate of Capital University, Columbus, Ohio, and former placement supervisor the the State Welfare Department, was appointed director of the agency in 1977.