School Outreach Caseworkers
Athens County Children Services currently has five School Outreach Caseworkers. Our School Outreach team serves the following schools and districts:
- Trimble Elementary School in the Trimble Local School District
- Amesville Elementary and Coolville Elementary Schools in the Federal Hocking School District
- Alexander Elementary School in the Alexander Local School District. Link directly to the School Outreach Case Worker's page at Alexander, here.
- Nelsonville-York Elementary in the Nelsonville-York City School District
- The Plains Elementary School in the Athens City School District. The Athens City School District school social worker position receives partial funding from a Project Launch grant.
"The School Outreach program gives kids a chance to get the help and support that some kids may never have if it weren't for School Outreach Caseworkers."
Our school outreach caseworkers seek to strengthen families and promote positive school relationships to enhance student school success. This is accomplished by supporting students, families, and teachers by increasing access to community resources, skill building, providing crisis intervention, improving communication between school and community, and providing opportunities for children.
"It is wonderful to have someone be a go-between" between home and school."
ACCS School Outreach Caseworkers support students by:
- Teaching life skills and other evidence-based prevention programs in classrooms
- Facilitating Lunch Bunch groups to help children develop social and problem-solving skills
- Providing a safe space for students to come and discuss problems
- Helping them to be successful academically, socially, and behaviorally.
- Building resiliency factors so they are less likely to engage in risk-taking behaviors
ACCS School Outreach Caseworkers support parents by:
- Providing home and school-based services
- Helping them decrease stress by meeting basic needs
- Coordinating parenting classes and strengthening their parenting skills
- Providing transportation to appointments
- Organizing family events such as Back to School parties and ice skating events
ACCS School Outreach Caseworkers collaborate with a number of community organizations, including Tri-County Mental Health, Bridgebuilders, Health Recovery Services, local food pantries, Athens County Department of Jobs and Family Services, AmeriCorps and COMCorps, Appalachian Peace and Justice Network, Hocking Athens Perry Community Action, OU Heritage College of Medicine, Rural Action, Glouster Police Force, Athens-Meigs ESC, Big Brother Big Sisters, Kids on Campus, OU Speech and Hearing Clinic, WIC, My Sister's Place, Tri-County Sexual Abuse Prevention Program, and local churches.